This game was pure domination from the 23rd-seeded ’79-’80 Buffalo Sabres. They now have all the “momentum,” as if you could have momentum in something like this. They opened the scoring just about two and a half minutes with Danny Gare‘s 15th goal of the tournament. Rick Martin potted his 10th goal of the tournament later in the first period and the Sabres would take a 2-0 lead into the first intermission. They outshot the 19th-seeded ’88-’89 Calgary Flames 12-3 in the opening frame. It wouldn’t get any better for Calgary in the second period. Buffalo defenseman John Van Boxmeer scored almost four minutes into the second period to make it 3-0, Van Boxmeer’s seventh of the tournament. Van Boxmeer would get called for elbowing 20 seconds later. The Flames would take three straight penalties after killing off the elbowing minor. So, they spent almost six straight minutes killing a penalty.
With just under four minutes left in the second period, Sabres defenseman Richie Dunn made it 4-0 Buffalo with only his third goal of the tournament. However, the Flames would finally get on the board shortly after Dunn’s goal with Doug Gilmour scoring his ninth goal of the tournament. But, the Sabres would get it back with Derek Smith scoring his 14th goal of the tournament with just 12 seconds left in the period to give Buffalo a 4-1 lead after two periods. Calgary goaltender Mike Vernon would get pulled after the Smith goal for just the second time in the tournament for goaltender Rick Warnsley. After outshooting the Flames 15-4 in the second period, the Sabres lead in shots 27-7 after the first two periods. Calgary would amp up the pressure a bit in the third period and they would get a goal from Joe Mullen and a second goal from Gilmour with a second goal from Dunn in between for the final score of 6-3.
|1st Period||2nd Period||3rd Period||Overtime||Total|
|#19 ‘88-’89 Flames||0||1||2||—||3|
|#23 ‘79-’80 Sabres||2||3||1||—||6|
GAME SUMMARY: BUF – 6 CGY – 3 (3-3 tie)
- 2:25 – BUF Goal: D. Gare (15) assisted by R. Martin (14)
- 12:46 – BUF Goal: R. Martin (10) assisted by D. Gare (20), R. Dunn (13)
- 3:51 – BUF Goal: J. Van Boxmeer (7) assisted by C. Ramsay (7)
- 16:08 – BUF Gol: R. Dunn (3) assisted by G. Perreault (13), D. Gare (21)
- 17:50 – CGY Goal: D. Gilmour (9) assisted by G. Roberts (20), D. Murzyn (9)
- 19:48 – BUF PP-Goal: D. Smith (14) assisted by T. McKegney (3), L. Ruff (1)
- 3:49 – CGY Goal: J. Mullen (12) assisted by R. Ramage (5), A. MacInnis (24)
- 6:49 – BUF Goal: R. Dunn (4) assisted by J. Van Boxmeer (27), R. Seiling (21)
- 18:01 – CGY Goal: D. Gilmour (10) assisted by J. Mullen (14)
|#19 ‘88-’89 Flames||#23 ‘79-’80 Sabres|
STARS OF THE GAME:
1st Star: Richie Dunn (BUF) – 2 G, A, +2, 4 S
2nd Star: Danny Gare (BUF) – G, 2 A, +2, 4 S
3rd Star: Doug Gilmour (CGY) – 2 G, +1, 3 S, 72.2% on faceoffs, 2 PIM
Game 7. The best two words in sports. Tomorrow night. For the right to play in the Ultimate NHL Final.